Today is a Monday but we didn't have to work. This because it is a national holiday, "Old Person's Day." On this day, we are told that people generally go shopping and sleep in, so it sounds a lot like what most of America thinks of holidays like Veteran's Day, President's Day, or Labor Day. We slept in a bit, did laundry, mosied around the apartment, then mosied around the city. We took a bus to the school I'll be working at tomorrow so I don't get lost on my way there, and we discovered a "Green Co-op," which is a gigantic step up from the grocery store we have been frequenting. Consider the difference between Winco and a small New Seasons, and you would come to understand what I mean.
So I've been thinking I need a project, either in some sort of art/craft or anthropological study, to keep me occupied in Japan. You see, our jobs are really easy, and don't take up much mental space, so I need something a bit more challenging and interesting. I'm thinking about trying to make a pizza tonight in our fish broiler (think upside-down grilled pizza), and in my search for some semblance of a recipe to do this, I came across this blog: http://www.giantjeansparlor.net/archives/candy_friday/ By absolute chance, this food blogger from LA lived in Japan for two years teaching English, and wrote a weekly entry about Japanese candies. Especially disgusting is the squid-roll-up, which oozes some sort of squid-y juice. I need a theme like this. Let me know if you have any ideas/curiosities, and I'll keep you posted.
On a side note, these pictures of the walk we took on Saturday, into this huge forest above our town. The mosquitoes were...vibrant.
No comments:
Post a Comment